Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Passing of a dear man


My Grandad died this weekend. He was a *dear* soul, and lived an incredible life. He cared for his wife, of 62 years, for about 8 years of Alzheimer's before she passed away in 2003. He volunteered weekly at his church to help at the Alzheimer's group by helping the men to the restrooms. He loved music, and loved going to gospel singings in the country. He courageously battled cancer of the lung, kidney, and liver for about a year before he passed away. I'll never forget spending weeks with he and my Meme at the lakehouse during the summers. They were an integral part of our lives growing up...

Although he would have been 90 this Christmas, and I know that he had an incredible life, it still saddens me to no end to know I'll never hold his hand again, or hear his sweet voice tell fun stories from when he was young.

4 comments:

Speaking from the Heart said...

Mandy,

My prayers will be with you and your family. Your granddad was a Godly man. He spent his time on earth serving others. It is an assurance to know that he is with Jesus and with your Grandma.

.

The Hiatt Family said...

Mandy, I am so sorry to hear of the loss of this amazing man. I know that you will pass along many stories of him to your little girls and that through that pieces of him will always remain. Please know that I am praying for your family as you celebrate his life and grieve his death.

Anonymous said...

Mandy,
I am so sad to hear about your grandfather. Tim just recently found out that his grandfather has colon cancer. It has really shook the family...but I guess that you must know what that feels like. Again, I am sorry for your loss. I know that he is in a better place.
Love-
Kellly

Anonymous said...

Mandy I am so sorry about your grandfather. I know I am very very late but I hate to hear that. I hope you are doing okay. I saw above where your C is all scheduled. I know you are getting excited!